Thursday, 3 April 2025
Home Topics Business Rio Tinto had considered a bid for Anglo American, AFR says
BusinessMiningNews

Rio Tinto had considered a bid for Anglo American, AFR says

124
FILE PHOTO: The Rio Tinto logo is displayed above the global mining group's booth at the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) annual conference in Toronto, Ontario, Canada March 7, 2023. REUTERS/Chris Helgren/File Photo
The Rio Tinto logo at the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) annual conference in Toronto, Ontario, Canada March 7, 2023. The mining giant had been considering buying into British-based competitor Anglo American before BHP launched its own takeover bid. REUTERS/Chris Helgren/File Photo

Mining giant Rio Tinto had considered an offer for British miner Anglo American, which is now BHP Group’s $39 billion takeover target, the Australian Financial Review reported on Friday.

Rio “management had not ruled out making a play for part or all of the mining group and continued to study the day-to-day situation”, the AFR reported, citing sources close to Rio.

The report did not mention why Rio did not make a proposal but said there is no suggestion that Rio is about to make an alternative bid. Rio declined to comment on the report.

BHP shares were down 0.4%, while Rio Tinto was trading flat. The Australian mining index was also flat as of 0438 GMT.

Anglo has turned down BHP’s proposal, saying it was opportunistic and significantly undervalues the British company. BHP has until May 22 to make a formal offer under the UK’s takeover rules.

Glencore is also studying options for a possible approach for Anglo, Reuters reported earlier in the month, a move that could spark a bidding war.

“Our policy is we don’t speculate or comment on M&A activity,” Rio’s chair, Dominic Barton, said in reply to a question at a shareholder meeting last week on whether the company was considering a rival bid.

BHP and Rio work closely together on the Escondida and Resolution Copper mines, in which they both own stakes.

Rio should not stand against BHP but instead should look at smaller copper and lithium miners, said Daniel Sullivan, portfolio manager of Janus Henderson Investors‘ global natural resources fund that owns shares in Rio, the AFR report said.

Related Articles

Lilium burnt through huge sums while trying to develop its jet (AFP)

German flying taxi start-up’s rescue deal collapses

A German flying taxi start-up said on Friday it would halt operations...

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Secretary of the Interior Doug Burgum speaks as he attends a signing ceremony with members of the West Virginia Congressional Delegation at the EPA headquarters in Washington, D.C., U.S., February 18, 2025. REUTERS/Kent Nishimura/File Photo

US energy council chief says power plants to produce 15% more electricity

By Valerie Volcovici WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Interior Secretary and co-chair of...

Cuba has inaugurated a new solar energy park in the capital Havana (AFP)

Cuba opens solar park hoping to stave off blackouts

Cuba on Friday unveiled a new solar energy park in the capital...

FILE PHOTO: Cranes unload imported iron ore from a cargo vessel at a port in Lianyungang, Jiangsu province, China October 27, 2019. REUTERS/Stringer/File Photo

Iron ore heads for weekly gain on brightening demand outlook, China stimulus hopes

By Amy Lv and Lewis Jackson BEIJING (Reuters) -Iron ore futures prices...